Author Topic: Running a form from a record selected in a grid view  (Read 9062 times)

Teresa

• View Profile
Running a form from a record selected in a grid view
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
I would like to be able to display a list of categories, let the user pick one and then go to a form to list all the records in that category. Then I'd like the user to pick one of those records and go to a details form.

I've been trying to do this but can't find a way. It seems that it is not possible to run a form from a grid control.

I can display a grid list of categories from my category table but then I can't do anything with the user's selected category.

Is there a workaround to achieve what I want?  Using the search facility is very laborious when it would be so much easier to work off lists.

CellicaTeam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Running a form from a record selected in a grid view
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:34:18 AM »
Next week we will launch updated desktop, which will allow you such type scenario.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
I'm so glad to hear that and look forward to trying it out.

I've only been using this for a day and so far my impressions are good. This is obviously still a relatively new product and lacking in more sophisticated features, but what it does do, it does very well. It's also very reassuring that you are actively developing this product as it has so much potential.

I will be buying a license soon and look forward to having my databases available to me on my phone.

CellicaTeam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:32 PM »
Thank you for appreciating the Cellica Database.

Could you please let us know which sophisticated features you are looking for and those are missing in Cellica Database.

In future release, we will try to implement those features.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:53 AM »
I have used SprintDB Pro by KaioneSoft on my previous phone which was a Windows Mobile phone. This product has many, many features and I only touched the surface with it.

However, some of the main features that I really miss and would love to see in Cellica are as follows:

Grid Controls:
Please let us be able to set column widths that are saved with the form. I have a grid with just one column and it always shows up very narrow.
Every time I run the form I have to go through the process of increasing it's width so I can read all of the items.
Other grids that I have have some columns that need to be narrower and others wider. This is my biggest issue so far.

Selection Controls:
It would be nice to have a combobox control that gave a list of items from a table. I'd like to pick an item and then have a grid control display all related records from another table.
For example, I'd like to select a category from a list in a combobox and have the grid list all records in that category in another table.

In SprintDB I could also hide and show columes on the grid by code executed when I pressed buttons. For example, a grid would show all records, but if I selected a specific category, the grid would show records for just that category and the category colums would be hidden.

Sync Logs:
I'd love to have access to a log file that showed sync details, or at least any errors.

SprintDB Pro provides almost a full programming facility with the ability to write code for events triggered by clicks such as before/after update, got/lost focus etc.
Customised code can be written for buttons which can even build SQL queries based on what the user has entered.

I appreciate that these sorts of features are very complex but it would be nice to think that one day something similar might be available on Android.

It is good to know that you are keen to listen to users needs.

Thank you,

Teresa

CellicaTeam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:24:40 AM »
Thank you for all your suggestions.

First two suggestions are already implemented in Cellica Database.

1. You can change the column width of Grid from device side. Please select the column which width you want to change, Tap and hold for few seconds and now you will get the context menu for changing the column. Same way, Change column width as per your requirement for each column.
Now on wards when ever you will open the form, you will get Grid with changed column widths.

2. "Selection Controls" , This functionality is already implemented in Cellica Database.
You have to drag Combo box control on main form and Grid control on subform.
Now on device whenever you select value from combo box, it will show related records in Grid control.

We will look in to other suggestions and try to implement in future release.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:47:13 AM by CellicaTeam »

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:27:19 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I know I can set colums widths on the grids in the Profile views of my tables and the new column widths stick.

However, I have this problem with the Grid control on my forms. It seems to happen when the grid is not on a subform. I have one form which just has a grid control with one column and a button control to go to another form.  This form always runs with a narrow column width no matter how many times I widen it.

Where I have multiple columns, sometimes the column width and aligment setting get applied to the next column instead.

I would be very grateful if you could fix this for me.

I will have a look at Selection Controls. I think what I have missed is that I can put a button on the subform which can go to another form as it will then have access to the current record selected on subform. Previously I was adding a go to buttom on the main form.

Thank you for your help,

Teresa

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:47 AM »
By the wat, I am using Cellica Database for Android (Wi-Fi). I found the internet version was taking too long for me to sync making it very difficult to develop forms.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 05:58:12 AM »
"Selection Controls" , This functionality is already implemented in Cellica Database.
You have to drag Combo box control on main form and Grid control on subform.
Now on device whenever you select value from combo box, it will show related records in Grid control.

I can't seem to be able to make this work. When I create a form I have to assign the form to a table, so I choose my Category table. I add a combobox control but can't link it to the Category table as that is not listed in the Lookup Profile property for the control.

If I link the form to my main table and add the combobox, it will only show a list of categories if I go into edit mode. If I just select it in non edit mode I get repeated category entries in the combobox list. It has an entry for each record in the main table.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you

Teresa

CellicaTeam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
Could you please send us sample database, we will check how can we design forms for you.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 04:13:08 AM »
I have emailed you my database and forms.

Thank you,

Teresa

CellicaTeam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 04:32:19 AM »
Advance versions of Cellica Database application ( Cellica Database Anywhere/Cellica Database WiFi)  SOHO/Enterprise Edition supports this feature.

Find more information about it on following link,
http://cellica.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/64/0/how-to-create-a-macro--and-assign-them-to-execute-on-events-of-form-and-controls-on-form-in-cellica-database